This salad is light and summery and delicious. A great way to use late summer tomatoes!
This recipe is from my Summer 2015 issue!
Serves 4 as a main or a side
You will need:
11⁄2 lbs ripe tomatoes
1 teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoons redwine vinegar
Tabasco sauce, to taste
sea salt, to taste
4 stalks celery
2 cucumbers, halvedand seeds removed
basil leaves, for garnish
- Place a fine sieve over a bowl.
- Slice each tomato in half and, with your hands, squeeze 1 tomato half over the sieve.
- Use a wooden spoon to squash the tomato into the sieve to release as much juice and pulp as possible.
- Discard the skin and seeds then repeat with remaining tomato halves.
- Stir in sugar and vinegar and mix well.
- Add Tabasco and salt, to taste.
- Pour into a non-reactive, shallow pan.
- Freeze until the edges are hard. This will take about 1 hour.
- Drag a fork through the mixture to break into smaller ice crystals.
- Repeat every 30 minutes until the granita is a firm but fluffy ice texture.
- Cut the celery, cucumber, and radishes into fine juliennes.
- Mix together and chill.
- Arrange salad onto serving plates, top with tomato granita. Garnish each plate with basil leaves.
Made it? Tell us about it–