These saffron buns are the traditional Swedish treat for Santa Lucia Day celebrations every December 13th!
You will need:
1 cup melted butter
½ teaspoon saffron
1 cup milk
¾ cup sugar
4 teaspoon dry active yeast
6½ cups all purpose flour
1 egg white, beaten
sultanas (or raisins)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Stir the saffron into the butter and let sit for 30 minutes.
- While waiting, heat the milk and add the butter and sugar to it.
- Pour into a baking bowl. While the mixture is warm to the touch, stir in the yeast.
- Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add flour and eggs and mix until smooth.
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Cut the dough into 20 pieces and roll each piece into a long sausage. Roll from each side to the middle.
- Place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Brush with egg white and decorate with sultanas.
- Bake until golden. This will take about 15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Made it? Tell us about it–