The scent of rose makes these macaroons like no other!
Makes around 36 macaroons
1 egg white, from a large egg
14 oz almond paste
1⁄2 cup confectioners sugar, sifted (plus a bit extra)
1⁄2 cup rhubarb, finely chopped
1 1⁄2 teaspoons rosewater essence
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 cup almonds, chopped
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixer, beat the egg white, almond paste, confectioners sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth (around 2 minutes).
- Add in the rhubarb, rosewater essence, vanilla extract, and salt, and beat for another minute.
- Add in the pastry flour and chopped almonds and beat for another minute.
- Transfer dough to plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle a handful of sifted confectioners sugar onto a clean and dry surface.
- Spoon out tablespoonsized portions of dough and roll out on confectioners sugar to form into balls.
- Transfer onto baking sheets, making sure each piece is thoroughly coated in confectioners sugar, and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pinch each piece of dough into desired shape and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden.
- Transfer baking sheets to wire racks and let cool completely.
Made it? Tell us about it–