The champagne is what makes this dish sing!
3 lbs mussels, cleaned, in the shell
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 medium-sized shallots, finely chopped
3 large cloves garlic, pressed
1 fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 cup Champagne
1⁄4 cup parsley, finely chopped
sea salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and garlic, and let simmer 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the fennel, fennel seeds, Champagne, and mussels, and turn heat to high.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then cover the pot and steam for 7 to 8 minutes, shaking the pot every so often.
- Remove any shells that did not steam open on their own and portion out remaining mussels into bowls.
- Return the mixture to a boil.
- Add the parsley, sea salt, and fresh ground pepper.
- Exactly 1 minute later, pour mixture over the mussels.
- Serve while hot.
Made it? Tell us about it–