Kräftskiva is a Scandinavian tradition. August is crayfish harvest time and everyone loves to celebrate by throwing an outdoor party with a ton of fresh crayfish and dill, paper lanterns and good friends.. and maybe a little aquavit!
Get tons of inspiration in Sweet Paul Magazine:
1 large bunch of flowered dill
1bottle of stout beer
3 tablespoons sugar
12 cups water
1/5 cup salt
4 1/2 lb crayfish
- In a large pot heat up the dill, beer, sugar, water and salt and set aside.
- In another large pot bring water to the boil.
- Cook the crayfish a few at a time for about 30 seconds, or until they turn bright red.
- Put them directly into the stout water.
- Once all the crayfish are in the stout water, let them simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cool and leave in the water in the refrigerator overnight.
- Drain the water and serve.
Crayfish are also called CRAWDADS in many parts of the US.
Made it? Tell us about it–