By Christi Farr Johnstone
From Christi: "The first thing that comes to mind when I hear the word campfire is roasting marshmallows. There is just something so simple and special about sitting together around a fire and roasting marshmallows. While it’s not always easy to get everyone out and around a campfire, it is easy to make these cookies anytime you want."
Makes 12 cookies
20 Life Savers® orange hard candies
20 Life Savers® red hard candies
10 Life Savers® white or yellow hard candies
12 miniature marshmallows
12 small pretzel sticks
1 (7-ounce) pouch green Betty Crocker® Decorating Cookie Icing
12 sugar cookies
36 Tootsie Roll® Chocolate Midgees
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a medium-sized baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unwrap the Life Savers® candies and place in a large zipper-style freezer bag. Crush the candies using a rolling pin or a small mallet.
- Spread the crushed candies out on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper. The crushed candy should be spread out, but the pieces should be touching each other.
- Place the crushed candy in the oven for approximately 5 minutes, or until the candy has melted. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes, or until it’s cool to touch.
- Once the candy is cool, use your hands to break the melted candy into pieces approximately 1/ 4 to 1/2 inch wide and 1 to 2 inches long. Set them aside.
- Gently place a miniature marshmallow on the end of each pretzel stick.
- Prepare the icing according to package directions.
- Working one cookie at a time, spread cookie icing on top of the cookie. Immediately place three Tootsie Roll® Chocolate Midgees candies onto the cookie icing, placing them in a formation similar to logs in a campfire.
- Place three to four pieces of the melted Life Saver® candies onto the cookie, as campfire flames, using the chocolate candies to help prop them into place until the icing is dry.
- Place a pretzel with marshmallow onto the cookie. Repeat with the remaining cookies. Allow to dry for at least four hours.
The “flames” are made by melting crushed Life Savers® in your oven for just a few minutes and then letting the melted candy cool and harden.
Made it? Tell us about it–